Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer Fun: Week 6

The theme of last week was “Beating the Heat”.  Well, this week we spent the week hiding from the rain.  The rain is much needed in the area right now and I am grateful for it.  You just always hope that God blesses you with bright sunshine on the weeks when the kid’s have swim lessons.  Luckily, the rain managed to come mostly in the late afternoons and evenings so the kids only had to endure one make up swim lesson for week 1.
Getting ready for swim lessons to start…
100_0825
I had warned them that morning that because of the recent rain, the water might be a little cooler than normal.  Can you see the excitement on their faces about the thought of having to crawl into the cold water in just a few moments?  I remind you these are my children who OFTEN wear sweatpants to bed in the middle of summer.



Addison is learning about pool safety with the class.
100_0822
Practicing her “scoops” around the pool….
100_0824
Shortly after this photo was snapped, I was asked to put my camera away which is why I don’t have any action shots of Dalton.  Apparently the Y has a policy against posting pictures of kids in bathing suits on the internet and has asked parents to refrain from taking photos which I completely understand.  These pictures didn’t seem to compromise the integrity of  any of the children, so I felt okay to post them on our “somewhat” private blog.  However (and this is somewhat of a rant), perhaps someone should let the Y know that the Y is posting pictures of the kids in their bathing suits on their facebook page.  (Okay, rant over and moving on!)
Since rain was in the forecast for most of the week, we took advantage of yet another Groupon (have I mentioned I love all those coupon sites?) to visit one of the many inside play lands around our great city.  We met up with some friends there.  The kids had a great time playing and I enjoyed catching up with some ladies I don’t see often enough. 
100_0826
Friday the 13th rolled around and we celebrated the day by scoring some free food at our nearby Chick-fil-a. 
100_0828
100_0827
In years past, I’ve only dressed up the kids for Cow Appreciation Day.  This year I decided to join in the fun and made myself a costume as well.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), there wasn’t anyone around to snap a group photo.  We did get several chuckles and a few compliments on our cow costumes.  I felt pretty silly walking in at first, but the excitement on the kid’s faces quickly helped me to get over my feeling of embarrassment.  Hopefully the day earned a place in the memory of my precious children.

No comments: