Saturday, March 02, 2013

Snake Farm

We tried to take the kids to a local putt-putt place for a Saturday afternoon outing.  When that didn’t quite work out as planned, we found ourselves at the Snake Farm instead.  I’m not really a fan of snakes but today we were in for a treat.  We just happened to get there at the exact moment one of the rat snakes decided to shed.  We were able to see the entire process from start to finish.  I think I was more fascinated than the kids but we all had fun.

March 2013-005
The head is near the front of the cage just beginning to shed.
March 2013-003
Dalton and I watching intently.  Addie had already lost interest.
March 2013-006
It was interesting to watch how calculated his moves were in, up, down and through different obstacles in his tank to help with the shedding process.
March 2013-022
He’s using the grasses in his tank to help him shed his skin.
March 2013-075
We stopped by to check on him one last time before we left for the day and he was all done!  The entire process took less than 2 hours!

In the meantime, we did check out a few of the other animals…

March 2013-035
Feeding the goats but don’t let them fool you….they just really want the bag.
March 2013-051
We were checking out the piglets in the pin only to turn around and find a goat’s bottom staring at us.  It’s amazing the balance such an odd looking animal can have!
March 2013-057
Addie loved the peacocks!
March 2013-066
These cats had a field day “hunting” the kids as they ran back and forth taunting them.
March 2013-068
We found Pumba!
March 2013-074
Addie was certain she was going to catch a duck, or a chicken, or a peacock….unfortunately, she never did.

We all enjoyed our unplanned afternoon at the Snake Farm!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I have never been there. We'll have to come down to see y'all and check that out some time ssssssooooon. (Sssssorry, I couldn't resssssist!)